There are six elements to drug dependence. If you identify with any of these then contacting our service for advice would be advisable.
- A strong desire or compulsion to take the substance.
- Difficulties in controlling substance-taking behaviour (onset, termination, level of use).
- Physical withdrawals when substance use has reduced or ceased; or continued use of the substance to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Signs of tolerance; increased quantities of substance are required to provide the same effect originally produced by lower doses.
- Neglect of other interests and activities due to time spent acquiring and taking substance, or recovering from its effects.
- Persistence with substance use despite clear awareness of harmful consequences (physical or mental).